Wednesday, March 22, 2017

For the love of diving

New Heaven dive resort

I was very unsure of myself when I first arrived here. 
I had never gone swimming in deep water
I don't even hold my breath under water
How on earth will I handle diving?

New Heaven dive resort

The way down was scary because my ears wouldn't equalize properly
And what if.. what if something happened?
We couldn't just shoot up to the surface, because we would get decompression sickness.

White Rock dive site

But once my knees rested on the ocean floor
I realized that I could do this -- WAS doing this.
I was breathing calmly and was sitting on the ocean floor practicing skills
Like taking my oxygen supply out
Shutting my oxygen tank off
You know, just throwing my life line around while sitting on the ocean floor

White Rock dive site

You're now thinking -- wait what?
Taking your oxygen regulator out?
Shutting your oxygen tank off?
It sounds terrifying right?

White Rock dive site

But it's actually surprisingly calm.
The diving school I went to had such a patient and calm teacher
I could be sitting on the ocean floor doing these things
And it didn't bother me at all.

White Rock dive site

I was truly at peace in the great mother ocean
After each skill practice we would try to fit in a fun swim

White Rock dive site

It was pretty amazing but we didn't think we'd finish in time.
Between first day panic attacks (2 different people)
a broken mask
a broken BCD
trouble equalizing ears (20 minutes to descend!!)
....
I know we were all concerned that last day about whether we would all pass our class.

White Rock dive site

But we were determined and we decided we would all help each other.
We also agreed to be very patient with each other's individual needs.

White Rock dive site

We succeeded the final dive and all passed just fine.
This particular dive school does small groups for classes to ensure you get well trained.
That's why I recommend if you plan on diving in Koh Tao, Thailand
You should look up New Heaven.

White Rock dive site

Like any good student group that just graduated...
We all went out and bar hopped on the beach and got plastered after.
It was an island experience I'll never forget!



No comments:

Post a Comment