Saturday, March 11, 2017

How I packed for Thailand

Asia: No shoes inside
.


I think that packing might be the most important part of any trip. Depending on what you are doing and how you plan on spending your time - what you pack can feel like it's breaking your back. The key is to pack only what you need. Try not to bring valuables because you will spend more time worrying about their safe-keeping than your vacation itself. My advice is bring 2-3 outfits and that's it. You can rearrange them to make new outfits and just hand-wash/hang-dry them each night if you're finicky.

I knew we would be walking a lot, potentially with me carrying my luggage this trip. Frankly, until we hit Koh Tao there would be no place to leave it. We had booked an overnight train from Bangkok to Chumphon and I was arriving in Bangkok at 5AM on Monday, the train left that evening. That would be an entire day of toting my belongings around on my back as well as the following week on my return to the US. I knew we would be able to hand wash our clothes and hang them to dry so I decided to bring less.

Thailand clothesline





















My list was as follows:

  • A very large and heavy underwater camera and charger borrowed from a coworker (I will not be doing this in the future. I learned my lesson.)
  • GoPro, som accessories & charger (going to stick with just this next time instead of two cameras)
  • Cellphone & charger
  • Earbuds/Headphones
  • 3 pairs underwear
  • 1 bra
  • 1 tank top
  • 1 pair pajama pants
  • 1 long sleeve shirt
  • 1 pair yoga capri-pants
  • 1 sun dress
  • 1 scarf (do you know what all you can do with these??)
  • 1 lightweight jacket
  • Beach sandals
  • Baby wipes
  • 3oz bottle of shampoo
  • Razor
  • Pen & small journal
  • Collapsible water bottle
  • Makeup
  • Hair brush
  • Toothbrush
  • 3oz tooth paste
  • Clothes pins
  • Passport & Cash

All of this was neatly rolled into a small duffle bag. You can bring a small luggage lock too. I did and it made me feel a bit safer about the cameras not being snatched from my bag while I wasn't looking. The large borrowed camera was the heaviest thing I carried to Thailand.. I had just gotten my GoPro and had no idea how to use it properly. I still don't, but I'm learning. Therefore I won't be bringing any large clunky cameras in the future.

My belongings were regularly unattended, so really the only concern I had was for my money, cameras, and identification. I was mad at myself for even making it an issue to worry about that much. Dragging that lunky camera every where out of fear of theft was just ridiculous. My GoPro, cell phone, money, and passport could fit in a pocket. That thing took more work; but enough complaining about the camera brick. At least it took decent photos while underwater and wasn't that the entire point?


Under water camera pictures

2 comments:

  1. good to hear good from you.

    ice cream. raz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you as well- I hope all is going wonderfully for you!

    ReplyDelete